Electronics (see also 'Manufacturing')
- Alps Electric (UK) Limited and the Birth of Two Trees Photonics Limited
- Morita Akio (1921-99), Sony and Britain
- Selling British Electronics to Japan: Part 1 : Selling to Japanese Manufacturers Investing in Britain
- Selling British Electronics to Japan: Part 2 : Selling to Japanese Companies in Japan
- Sharp Corporation's UK Research Investment: Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd
Author: Woodland, Peter
This chapter is about the development of the company Alps Electric (UK), which was the European manufacturing arm of Alps Electric Co. Ltd, Japan. Right after closure in 2009, Alps Electric (UK) passed on the development of new technologies to Two Trees Photonics Limited, co-founded by two former employees of Alps UK.
Author: Cortazzi, Hugh
Morita Akio (1921-99) was one of the main driving forces behind the Sony Corporation. This essay details his career, personality, and business philosophy, as well as his relationship with Britain.
Author: Cohen, Ivor
Part I: This essay shows the process of adaptation of Japanese television companies to invest and sell in the UK during the 70s and 80s.
Author: Bacon, Peter
Part II: The second section looks at the other side of the coin of UK-Japan components manufacturing and trade. This time British manufacturers had to adapt to Japanese companies’ needs. The process then led to the creation of a business joint venture.
Author: Bradley, Clive
This chapter focuses on Sharp Corporation. The investment in Sharp Laboratories is just one example of the rapidly developing economic ties between the UK and Japan in the late 1980s and the 1990s.